Saturday, November 21, 2009

What do you want on your Tombstone?

This morning I got up early and headed about half an hour from Benson to Tombstone, AZ. I was able to walk the main street of the historic western town and even get inside the OK Corral. I was shocked at how small the area where the gunfight took place was. The area of the corral where the fighting took place was literally about 15 feet by fifteen feet. The town was pretty cool, I got to check out the Tombstone Epitaph newspaper where you could "read your own Epitaph before breakfast". The people who work there must really love their jobs, they were all in period wear with a whole lot of handlebar mustaches. I got breakfast in the "OK Cafe" and as the name suggests it was just OK, but several of the guys dressed up as cowboys were there telling stories about Tombstone's history which was pretty cool.

When I was in Tombstone I noticed that one of my hubcaps was gone, odds are it is somewhere along the roadside in Death Valley. I would be mad, but the irony of the mexican guys joking about stealing my hubcaps was too much. All in all the car is holding up well, today took me over the 8000 mile mark for this trip, and nearly to 22,000 miles since I bough the car at the end of April. It has been through a lot, and is covered with road grime and dust. The first thing I am going to do when I get back to broadalbin is take it to the car wash and scrub this trip off it. I will also empty everything out and possibly take it in to get detailed.

Today's driving went pretty smoothly. I made it almost 600 miles in around 8 hours in part thanks to the 80mph Texas daytime speed limit. The trip took me through part of Arizona, all of New Mexico, through El Paso, and about halfway from El Paso to San Antonio. I am currently in Fort Stockton, TX in a nice Best Western that I found a coupon for. Before checking in I went to a steakhouse and ordered my steak with a side of broccoli and a baked potato. The waitress looked at me like nobody has ever ordered the broccoli before. I wonder if she went back and told the kitchen "somebody finally ordered the broccoli, please tell me we have some in stock. I picked up a 6 pack of Lone Star beer and found it to taste pleasantly like Utica Club. Tomorrow I am heading over to San Antonio to spend 2 days hanging out with OD. I will be visiting the Alamo and checking out the Riverwalk and everything else that I missed when I couldnt go with my friends a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment