Thursday, November 19, 2009

Manifest Destiny

Today I fulfilled one of my dreams. I got a chance to to drive Pacific Coast Highway out of San Francisco. The ride was amazing. The Pacific was extremely blue and the cliffs provided great contrast and awesome views. The road was very hilly and winding and a challenge to drive, but well worth it. I only rode highway 1 (PCH) for about 4 hours and then I hit the freeways because I needed a change. Just 2 years ago the farthest west I had ever been was Buffalo, NY. It is strange to think that just a little bit later I have made it this far west. I guess that is manifest destiny. I set out to conquer the country, and I have made pretty good progress so far. Im glad I had this experience, no matter what that Reno Cop thinks about what a waste of time my trip is.

I took US 101 for a while and then cut over on back roads to Santa Barbera and got back on 101. This is when I hit the traffic that took me 4 hours to drive 90 miles. The traffic was horrible, apparently california drivers dont know how to use turn signals or to drive correctly. It doesnt help that on the freeways the car speed limit is 65 and the truck speed limit is 55 so there is confusion on the road. It could be because there are a lot of women drivers, or because there are a lot of asian drivers, but definitely because there are a lot of asian women drivers. I will be glad to get out of Cali tomorrow because it will be nice to get some normal driving in. I have 3 days to make it 20 hours out to San Antonio so I will be heading to Tucson, or to as far as I can get. I dont like driving through the desert, but Ive only got a few days of desert driving left. I am thoroughly exhausted right now so I am going to crash as soon as possible. I am sorry that this post isnt up to normal standards, but im beat from all the stress of dealing with the bad traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment