Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving in New Orleans was quite an experience. I was suffering pretty badly during the morning because of my time on Bourbon Street the night before. It was a pretty interesting time, but next time I am definitely going to need somebody with me so that I have a better time. I did get a chance to see a few really good bands, including a zydeco band which I watched for almost an hour. They had a guy playing the washboards, and another who played the accordion extremely fast while singing. It was a good snapshot of New Orleans, especially since I was drinking a Hurricane that I got from Pat O'Briens which is the place which invented the Hurricane.

After I got up and ready I rode the Rue St Charles Streetcar around the city. This is one of the oldest street car lines in the world and they cars were pretty historic. I got to see the entire city. The houses were a hodgepodge of Victorians, brownstones, french colonials, low rise apartments, neuveau architecture and others that I cant name. This shows how old the city is and how many cultural and historic forces made their way through the area. I spent a few hours wandering around the french quarter and checking out music. I grabbed a cajun thanksgiving dinner at a little place near the cathedral. While it wasnt turkey and stuffing the Gumbo, Jambalaya, and red beans and rice were good enough. I eventually headed back to the hotel to watch some Football and relax a bit. I enjoyed these few days and definitely want to go back, but next time im going to bring some friends.

I took some time to really think about what I am thankful for at this time. I am definitely thankful for the opportunity to go on this trip. Not only have I seen a lot of places and done a lot of things I never had a chance to, but I have had the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and both grow and learn a lot about myself. I am thankful that I am almost done with school and that things are finally falling into place for my future. I am glad that everyone is doing ok and that people are healing up nicely after surgery.
-O

No comments:

Post a Comment