Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reno 911

Today was interesting to say the least. Last night I drove from Salt Lake City to Elko, NV and crashed for the night. Today I woke up early (thanks pacific time zone) and started my trip pretty early. I was surprised by the amount of mountains in northern Nevada. It was pretty, but almost absolutely empty. The mountains rose out of the flat plains and were more like steep peaked hills than actual mountains. It was smooth sailing until I got outside of Reno. Here I drove past a state trooper who pulled me over for suspicion of being a New Yorker. State profiling is like racial profiling, but even more time consuming. The cop had absolutely no reason to pull me over but none the less he hit the lights. He gave me a little bit of crap, but mostly he couldnt wrap his mind around the fact that I wasnt trafficking drug or guns or money (please note have none of any of theses). He searched my car and gave me a bunch of crap to verify that I am a pharmacy student, beyond student ID, intern permit, and rotation schedule. He kept saying that my whole trip made no sense and that something was up with me, and that he couldnt believe that I was on an unpaid internship. I dont know what his deal was, but at least I didnt get handcuffed. I had nothing to hide, and tried to get it through his head as best I could, but he was either unwilling or unable to comprehend. Even with this detour I made it down to get a burrito and make it down to Lake Tahoe early this afternoon. The views are pretty spectacular, but basically it is just a smaller version of lake champlain with bigger mountains. I went to Harrahs and played a few table games (im down $37) and ate at the buffet on the top floor right next to the window. I also got good news that my dad's surgery went well, even though hes in a lot of pain. Tonight Im staying at a 31 dollar hotel that is actually really nice, about a block from the lake shore. I will be heading over to San Francisco tomorrow. There is supposed to be some snow tonight but hopefully there wont be much as I hdead over these mountains tomorrow morning. Its been a pretty exhausting day, but im just glad it was a state trooper instead of one of the cops from Reno 911.
-O

No comments:

Post a Comment