Sunday, November 22, 2009

Everythings Bigger in Texas (Thats what she said)

Early this morning I headed into San Antonio from Fort Stockton. The first place I made it to was the Alamo. I have heard about the Alamo and the fight and everything for all these years, suffered through the Disney Davey Crockett movie dozens if not hundreds of times, and watched enough King of the Hill to have respect for what happened there. The thing I didnt realize was how small the space was, its hard to imagine how many people died in such a small space. I dont know if I was desensitized to the historical significance by all those trips to Fort Ticonderoga as a child, but I wasnt as impressed as I planned to be.

After I remembered the Alamo I headed over to the riverwalk. The riverwalk was the location for most of the stories I heard when my friends went to a conference here in 2005. I wandered the path along the river and stopped at a few shops. I didnt spend any time in the bars because I wasnt feeling much like drinking. I did head to a supermarket later and pick up a case of Lone Star Beer and Lone Star Light. I also picked up a 12 pack of Sessions Black Lager for my black friend who happens to be named Aaron Session, the coincidence was well worth the 10 bucks.

I headed over to OD's house and hung out with him for a bit before he headed to work. We went out to this BBQ place called Rudys which was out of this world. It was easily the best BBQ I have ever had. The meat was cooked with a dry rub and then you could slather it with their amazing sauce. I picked up a bottle of their rub to try out at home, and I will be ordering the sauce online so I dont have to drive it home. I also picked up some of the rub to bring to Veres in Atlanta because he apparently loves Rudys.

I decided that I have seen enough of San Antonio for this trip and will be heading out a day early. I had planned 2 days in San Antonio to rest and relax a bit, but I feel pretty fresh and both of my friends here are working tomorrow. Im going to head up through Dallas and possibly up to Texarkana. This splits my trip up a little more and allows me some more time along the way. Who knows but by this time tomorrow I may have eaten a burrito in my 27th state plus New Jersey.
-O

No comments:

Post a Comment