Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Nawlins

After a frustrating hour and a half trying to find Oak Alley plantation on the Mississippi river between Baton Rouge and New Orleans I was able to find the place. The oak trees are like 400 years old and the place looked like something out of a movie. The antebellum plantation was a pretty cool find, even though getting there was a challenge I am glad I went. I eventually made it into New Orleans and wandered around until I could check into the hotel. Driving over the bridge and seeing the superdome was pretty amazing. After seeing all the footage of the post katrina new orleans it was awesome to see the rebuilt dome after everything the city has been through.

I wandered through the French Quarter for a few hours. I made it to the Aquarium of the Americas which was pretty mundane compared to Mystic Seaport. The one thing they did have was a white alligator which was awesome. I went to a nice cafe on rue charles and got a chance to eat an alligator po'boy and have a local beer. I then made it down to the cathedral and wandered around the square. There were two jazz bands playing in the street, real bands with several members and even a sousaphone. I stopped into a microbrewery and then checked into the hotel.

I have a real room. It isnt right on the parking lot, and I have to use a real elevator to get there. It has a view that isnt of a strip mall, parking lot, highway, or a fast food restaurant. Its a nice room and surprisingly was significantly cheaper than a lot of my other hotels. Im heading over to Bourbon street now then wandering around the french quarter for a bit.
-O

No comments:

Post a Comment