Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Weekend That Was

So believe it or not I was the sober responsible one at Oktoberfest. That basically means that I did not get cited for public urination or pass out in the bushes behind Graneys, and on top of all that I made it home safely and slept in my own bed. Yes it was that good of a time. Tim and I showed up at 11:30 and beat the crowd so that we even got in for free. We met up with Lou, Grassi, Randy, Keimer, Amar, Scott, Jon, and Raj throughout the course o f the day. We all had a good time enjoying the beer, sausage, liederhosen, beer, das boot, a dunking booth filled with beer, and of course beer. You know you have had a good afternoon when you go to a bar in order to sober up. Our friendly bartender Aubrey took care of us, and except for Tim's outdoor powernap a good time was had by all. I lied when I said I made it to my own bed, I made it back to the futon in the guest room at Morris, but that is basically the closest thing to my bed that I have. If I can make a recommendation to everyone with the option to sleep on a futon for 5 weeks DONT DO IT.

Sunday I worked at the Colonie store. Things are pretty crazy at all the Walgreens in the area because of the flu shots. Each store is doing 30 to 90 each day on top of the normal prescription load. It seems that we are extremely understaffed to do this. When you have only 1 tech to handle the entire pharmacy while the pharmacist is spending 5 minutes each to shot it really adds up. On top of that there is a mountain of paperwork that needs to be done for each shot. Since this is the first year of shots I assume things will get straightened out for next year. The entire climate of Walgreens appears to have changed with people rushing around and working more and more. I actually enjoy being busy most of the time so I dont mind it, but those people who have spent the past 2 years working in extremely slow stores have had a rude awakening. I really admire how much Walgreens has been able to do for the flu shots while Lindsays hasnt been able to do anything. At the independent it is easier to make small improvements, but they fall short when making any sweeping changes because they have to do everything themselves. Seeing the contrast, especially working a shift at Lindsays then going to work a shift at Walgreens, is a really eye opening experience.

Other than that I am working a lot this week (67 hours) between Lindsays and Walgreens, but I get 2 days off at the end of rotation so I can take my time heading to Arizona. I went to a seminar on finances and am meeting with the financial planners on Tuesday. I hope to spend some time in Arizona learning about how finances work so that I can get set up when I graduate.

Ive got a few things to take care of for the road trip. Now that my car is set I have to pick up supplies and organize everything I am going to need for the next 2 months. The hardest thing is predicting what to bring for all the places I will be going and the change into late fall and winter throughout the country. I will hopefully get as much of the stuff done that I can on Sunday so that I can enjoy my last few days in the Northeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment